We are fortunate that English Heritage take a very keen interest in the preservation of Pulhamite installations, and several Pulham sites have been the subject of major restoration projects that have been made possible largely from substantial and generous grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Claude Hitching is proud of the fact that he has been able contribute to some of these projects by validating the provenance of the work, for which the credit very often went to the landscape architect, rather than to the people who were contracted to do the actual construction work.
The people associated with the restoration projects are all very proud of what has been achieved, as the following links will demonstrate:
The story of this site is told in Chapter 38 of The Pulham Legacy. The Abbots Leigh Civic Society is a very enthusiastic and energetic group of people who care passionately about their local heritage. They undertook a comprehensive restoration project in 2005 that included a lot of major work on the Pulhamite cascades, boathouse and rockwork around Abbots Pool.
As described in Chapter 20 of The Pulham Legacy, Belle Vue Park was designed by Thomas Mawson in 1893, and opened in 1894. Although James Pulham and Son receive no credit for their involvement here, there is absolutely no doubt that they were responsible for the cascade, rockwork and stream that runs down through the centre of the park, but Claude Hitching is convinced that they were also involved with almost every other feature, including the grand terrace and Pavilion, which were added c1910 – one only has to look at the rustic wall-covering, balustrading and ball terminals to see that they carry all the hallmarks of the Pulham hand. The park was the subject of a major Heritage Lottery Restoration Fund Grant in 2002, and the work was completed in 2007.
Ewell Court House has a wonderful garden, with an artificial lake, island, rocky cascades and stream, and secret grotto – all constructed by James Pulham and Son. ECHO – the Ewell Court House Organisation of Friends – has worked tirelessly for some years now to raise funds to restore these features to their former glory, and the grotto was re-opened in 2009. The island, lake and stream will be next, and it is hoped that it may be possible to remake the award-winning fountain – currently a flower bed – sometime in the not-too-distant future. The full story is told in Chapter 18 of The Pulham Legacy.
The second stage of a major restoration project, part-funded by a Heritage Lottery Restoration Grant, is under way, as is explained in the main link. The first stage took place in 2002, when the Friends of Mesnes Park uncovered and restored a Pulhamite cascade and pool, described in the Sub-Page.
There are very good examples of Pulham’s rockwork in Moor Park and Miller Park, Preston, and a Japanese garden in Avenham Park. There are also some copies of Pulhams’ vases in Miller Park, although they did not produce the fountain there. The parks received a Heritage Lottery grant in 2001 for a ‘Stage 1’ restoration, and another in 2009 for ‘Stage 2’, but it is not absolutely clear as to whether or not the Pulhamite will be included in this.
Ross Hall Park is a small park on the outskirts of Glasgow, with an extensive Pulham rockwork installation, including a grotto and bathing pool etc – described in Chapter 17 of The Pulham Legacy. A group of local enthusiasts formed the Friends of Ross Hall Park in 2009, and raised funds to assist with a comprehensive restoration programme that was completed in 2011.